Slip and fall accidents are one of the most common issues in personal injury law. It’s all too easy to slip, trip and injure yourself, even when you’re watching where you’re going. If the property owner was at fault for the accident, you might be entitled to compensation—but it’s important that you neither do nor say anything that might compromise your lawsuit.
To avoid jeopardizing your case, follow these tips, and be sure to call a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible:
- Seek medical help immediately: If you were seriously injured in your slip and fall accident, it’s crucial that you get medical help right away. Even if you feel okay, you should still get checked out. Injuries can take hours or days to fully manifest. Failing to seek medical treatment could also give your insurance company or a jury the impression that your injuries were not as serious as you claim.
- Document the scene: Depending on how severe your injuries are, you might not be able to document the scene at the time it occurred. However, you can always return after you’ve been checked out and cleared by a medical professional, especially when you plan to file an accident report. If you were accompanied by someone at the time of the accident, ask them to snap photos before help arrives.
- Make an accident report: After you’re in stable condition, you need to go back to the scene of the accident and make a report with the property owner or manager. Get the details of the accident in writing, including the time, date, location, people present and the circumstances of the accident. Ask for a copy.
- Take down other important information: When an accident happens, things can get chaotic. However, if anyone offers to give a witness statement, make sure you take their information and follow up on it later. In addition to witness statements, photos, your recollection of the accident and the accident report, you may also want to describe what you were wearing (such as the type of shoes) and other important details.
- Avoid giving statements: Don’t give a statement to your insurance company or the landlord, property manager or property owner until your personal injury lawyer has had a chance to work on your case. Insurance companies do not work for your interests—and neither do the opposing parties in the case.
- Contact a personal injury attorney: Finally, make sure you talk to a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. Your lawyer will help you obtain the necessary information you need, talk to insurance companies and position your case for the best results possible. If you want to ensure that you get the best deal possible, it’s best to do it with the help of a lawyer.
If you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident, personal injury law is on your side. Call the Law Offices of Max G. Arnold, Inc. today to learn more and schedule a consultation.
Categorised in: Personal Injury Lawyer