Whether you’re trying to save the planet, avoid traffic or just like the feeling of the wind in your face, riding a bicycle is a great way to get around. Unfortunately, bike riders are a lot more vulnerable than automobile drivers. When you’re involved in an accident while riding your bike, you’re more likely to suffer serious injuries. Hiring a bicycle accident attorney is the best way to get reasonable compensation for your injuries, property damage, lost wages and more.
While you may not need an attorney, it’s still wise to hire one. Your lawyer will be in a better position to get you the compensation you deserve.
When to hire a bicycle accident attorney
Here’s when to hire an attorney as a bike rider:
- You have sustained major injuries: Since you’re more likely to suffer major injuries in a bicycle accident—at least compared to a vehicle driver—it’s smart to retain an attorney as soon as possible. Not only is it necessary to ensure you get full compensation, but your lawyer has likely seen similar cases over the years. A good attorney will know whether your current injuries are likely to persist, or if other serious conditions may develop as a result. In turn, they’ll know exactly how to request better compensation from the insurance companies or through a lawsuit.
- It’s not clear who was at fault in the accident: Sometimes it’s not immediately clear who caused an accident. That can make it difficult to determine fault, or who is responsible for paying the other party’s medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering damages and more. Often, comparative negligence plays a part: your compensation may be reduced by the percentage that the court or insurance adjuster deems you to have been at fault. For best results, you need the help of a seasoned bicycle accident attorney.
- Your insurance company is lowballing you: An insurance company makes its profit by paying out as little as possible, even if you are paying their premiums. They often offer lowball settlements at first, hoping the accident victim is too naïve to know better. Your lawyer will be able to tell you whether a settlement offer is reasonable, or if you should hold out for more.
- Your insurance claim was denied: In some cases, your insurance claim may be denied entirely. If you’re certain you weren’t at fault, or that another party is responsible for your injuries, this can be incredibly frustrating. Your lawyer will help you take action to rectify the situation.
- You need additional legal guidance: Finally, you may need additional accident-related guidance. Whether you’re deciding whether to appeal, file a lawsuit or take another action, an attorney can help you make the most prudent decisions for your case.
Working with a good bicycle accident attorney is the best way to ensure you get a fair settlement or trial verdict. When you need seasoned legal assistance from highly qualified personal injury lawyers, call the Law Offices of Max G. Arnold, Inc. today to schedule a consultation.
Categorised in: Personal Injury Lawyer