Have you been bitten by a dog? Dogs bite about 4.7 million people every year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). About 800,000 of those bites need medical attention, and over 70 percent of those dog bites occur because the dogs weren’t neutered.
Dog bites can be traumatic, medically painful and expensive to treat. If you’re thinking about suing for injuries stemming from a dog bite, it’s smart to know the dog breeds that are most likely to attack in Santa Rosa, CA. As always, you should consult with an experienced attorney before you decide to sue—but if the dog that bit you was one of the top offending breeds, you may have a better case.
Dog breeds most likely to attack
Curious about which dog breeds are most likely to attack? Here are five of the most common:
- Pit bulls: Although pit bull owners love to tell you how gentle their dogs are, the facts are that they are the breed most likely to viciously attack others—sometimes causing death. They’re responsible for 66 percent of total fatalities, even though the breed comprises less than 7 percent of the United States’ total dog population. If you were bitten by a pit bull, chances are you will be able to recover based on their history of dog bites.
- Rottweiler: Rottweilers cause 10 percent of the dog attacks in the country, despite making up just 3 percent of the dog population in America. Rottweilers, like pit bulls, can be responsible for serious injury. They’re about 10 times more likely to kill someone than the average dog. They tend to be kind to owners but aggressive toward strangers.
- German shepherd: German shepherds can be wonderful dogs, but if they’re improperly trained, they can get bored and attack people they view as intruders. They’re also one of the breeds that police use in their canine units.
- Mixed breed: Mixed breed dogs are the fourth most likely type to commit attacks. Naturally, pit bull, rottweiler, German shepherd and American bulldog mixed breeds will be more likely to attack. The fact is, any dog can attack another person. Whether you’re a dog owner or a victim, it’s very important that you understand the risks when you interact with dogs, or let people interact with your pets.
- American bulldog: Finally, the American bulldog rounds out the top five dog breeds most likely to attack. This breed is known for its intense jaw strength and stubbornness—two things you don’t want when a dog thinks you’re a threat.
It’s important to note that even if you were bitten by a dog that’s not on this list, you can still recover damages for common dog-related injuries in Santa Rosa, CA. Every year, 28,000 people in America undergo plastic surgery to recover from dog injuries. Despite the fact that dogs are supposed to be man’s best friend, untrained, vicious dogs can ruin lives.
If you’ve been bitten by a dog and need legal help recovering damages, The Law Offices of Max G. Arnold, Inc. can help. Call us today for a consultation.
Categorised in: Personal Injury Lawyer