“Slip and fall” is the term we give to accidents where the property owner knew or should have known of a dangerous condition, doesn’t fix it, and causes harm to a visitor through their own negligence.
Property owners should be careful, especially in wineries, museums, historical properties and other tourist attractions people visit in droves year-round. Unsafe conditions could lead to a slip and fall accident, and if you’re found at fault, you could be liable for damages. Common injuries from a slip and fall in Chico, CA range from cuts, bruises and sprains to broken bones and traumatic brain injury.
Liability in slip and fall accidents
To prove liability in a slip and fall accident, you must establish negligence. Either you prove that the property owner knew or should have known of a dangerous condition, had the opportunity to repair it and failed to fix it (for example, a broken stair) or that the property owner or employee actually caused the dangerous condition, didn’t fix it and it was reasonably foreseeable that it would cause harm.
In any case, you’ll also have to show that a reasonable person would have identified the condition as hazardous, and that actual harm occurred—so if you merely see a dangerous condition and don’t suffer any injuries, then you would not be allowed to sue the property owners.
Preventing slip and fall accidents
As a property owner, here are a few things you can do to lessen the likelihood that you’ll be responsible for a slip and fall injury on your Chico, CA property:
- Routine maintenance: Your top priority should be taking care of your routine maintenance, including sidewalks, curbs and other structures.
- No-slip grips and carpets: Slippery areas should be mitigated with carpets that grip the ground and prevent slippage.
- Mark handicap-accessible entrances clearly: If you have a special, accessible entrance for the disabled, make sure it’s clearly marked.
- Turn on the lights: Great lighting can prevent a lot of accidents, and is an inexpensive way to mitigate damages.
- Hide the wires: Be sure that your guests won’t trip over or be shocked by wires and electrical cords.
- Good housekeeping: Give your property a thorough cleaning each day, including removing trash and other potential tripping hazards. Make sure that there are no obstacles in your walkways.
- Watch the weather: Inclement weather can present a problem in your outdoor areas. Watch for flooding, puddles and other hazards, and do your best to keep guests away by posting signs in affected areas.
Slip and fall injury lawyers in Chico, CA
Accidents can change your life significantly, and no one knows this better than The Law Offices of Max G. Arnold, Inc. We have won countless slip and fall personal injury cases in Chico, CA, and can help you navigate the legal and insurance system to get the compensation you deserve. Call us today to discuss your options and start forming an action plan. We look forward to serving you and working hard on your behalf.
Categorised in: Personal Injury Lawyer